The legacy of Steve Angello, Axwell, and Sebastian Ingrosso will be remembered as the Swedish House Mafia – a trio of slick, jet-setting gentlemen, who came, saw, loved, and changed the world of electronic dance music forever. With Until Now – the follow-up to their debut project, Until One, the group compiles everything that led to this moment, and closes the book on it for good.
For working DJ’s and regular club goers, the material contained within Until Now may be seen as nothing new. For a group like Swedish House Mafia, whom constantly tours, releasing single after single, the concept of “album” is almost foreign, hence Until Now being billed instead a “soundtrack”. The project is available in two forms – a cheaper, bare-bones edition that serves up the group’s hit singles into one, easy-to-digest package for the average Target shopper, or the the deluxe version, a meatier, DJ-mix of all their hits and then some, for a few dollars more.
The latter is definitely what you want to spring for, as it encapsulates the experience of going to a Swedish House Mafia show, right from your home/car/iPod speakers. All of the familiar hits are here: “Greyhound”, Axwell’s “In My Mind” remix, Ingrosso and Alesso’s “Calling (Lose My Mind)” and even their breakthrough debut single, “Leave The World Behind”, here mashed up with Nari and Milani’s subtle banger, “Atom”.
And that is what makes the deluxe version such a treat to listen to. No, all of the tracks are not by the Swedes, but it’s sewn together in a beautifully realized megamix that encompasses the group’s run, minus “One”. Songs we’ve heard many times before are given new life, such as Axwell’s remix of “Resurrection” – here remixed with Coldplay’s “Paradise” vocals, “Miami 2 Ibiza” teasing bits of Dirty South’s “Walking Alone”, or SHM affiliate Alesso’s “Raise Your Head”, chopped up with bits of Sandro Silva and Quintino’s “Epic”. Like Daft Punk’s Alive 2007 before it, this mix almost retires these tracks for good, before crescendoing into their massive new hit “Don’t You Worry Child”, and their now classic anthem “Save The World” to cap it all off. The only thing missing here is Angello’s mind-blowing remix of Tim Mason’s “The Moment”.
As far as new material, the album does sprinkle in some lesser known or as-of-yet-unheard tracks for the superfans. Sebastian Ingrosso and Tommy Trash’s “Reload” is still sitting pretty atop the Beatport charts, but still stands out as one of the best new tracks on Until Now. The same can be said for their new rendition of Usher’s “Euphoria”, or Steve Angello and Third Party’s “Lights”.
These new tracks, along with some unexpected classics, are mixed in to keep things surprising. While this collection may not be impressive to the rabid, Beatport-hounding Swedish House Mafia fan, it is a snapshot of what they have accomplished over the last year or so. Looking at the big picture, many years down the line, this collection will serve fond memories of the legacy they created, and the moments that led up Until Now.
Leave a Reply
- Erick Morillo Taking Hiatus After Series Of Strange Performance Episodes
- Avicii & Aloe Blacc’s “Wake Me Up” To Premiere This Weekend
- Diplo “Express Yourself” Serato Vinyl Available
- Ed Banger Records “Ed Rec Vol. X” [Full Album Stream]
- Dizzee Rascal Taps Calvin Harris, Tinie Tempah For New LP, “The Fifth”
- 10-Minute “Daft Punk Remix” Of “Get Lucky” Coming
- Rudimental – “Right Here (Hot Since 82 Remix)” [Preview]
- Dan Black – “Hearts (Kaskade & R3hab Remix)” (feat. Kelis)
- Major Lazer – “Bubble Butt (Flosstradamus Remix)” [Preview]
- Inpetto – “Girls and Boys” [Out Now]
- Richard Vission – “Primitive” (feat. Luciana) [Out Now]
- ETC!ETC! + Brillz + Diplo – “Bueller VIP”
- 10-Minute "Daft Punk Remix" Of "Get Lucky" Coming
Commented on by Green Django
- Daft Punk - "Random Access Memories" (Review)
Commented on by Green Django
- Defected Presents 30 Classic House Tracks In Under 3 Minutes
Commented on by Ian (@Stellaskid)
- Skrillex - "Summit" (feat. Ellie Goulding) (Video)
Commented on by O.zee.zee
- Crookers "Don't Be Sad" Mix
Commented on by djcj
- Kaskade vs. Sebastian Ingrosso + Tommy Trash - "Eyes Reloaded"
Commented on by JPjammerson