Perhaps one of electronic music’s most interesting and enigmatic acts is Drop The Lime, a New Yorker by the name of Luca Venezia, whose music sounds more like the product of Nashville with a Euro twist. Those things don’t sound like they go hand-in-hand, but Drop The Lime’s fusion of rockabilly and modern dance styles actually makes for one of the best long-players of 2012. Enter The Night is only his second full-length LP, since first appearing on the scene back in 2003.
The music is dark and brooding; meaning you won’t hear these tracks at peak time during Tiesto’s set anytime soon. In fact, it’s hard to imagine where one might hear Drop The Lime’s music, aside from their own car stereo, driving down Lost Highway, on the road to Twin Peaks. Songs like “Darkness”, “No Sleep For The Wicked”, and the amazing “Devil’s Eyes”, builds a mystique for his character, one that suggests the grym reaper stands close by his side. His Springsteen cover, “State Trooper” is perhaps the album’s best moment, defining his style, as he sings, “Mr. State Trooper…please don’t stop me”, over a four-on-the-floor rhythm and swarthy guitar licks. While some might suggest DTL’s fusion of electronic beats over country rock is purely a gimmick, instrumental based tracks like “Stay Up Late” and “(Ghost) Riders In The Sky” show that he has a firm understanding of deep house, which longtime fans can attest to.
Drop The Lime may has cornered the market on “rockabilly dance”, with his sophomore full-length acting as one of the most consistant, quality releases of 2012. With a career birthed a decade ago, North America’s EDM explosion has made room for acts like this that aren’t afraid to step outside the box.
- Erick Morillo Taking Hiatus After Series Of Strange Performance Episodes
- Avicii & Aloe Blacc’s “Wake Me Up” To Premiere This Weekend
- Diplo “Express Yourself” Serato Vinyl Available
- Ed Banger Records “Ed Rec Vol. X” [Full Album Stream]
- Dizzee Rascal Taps Calvin Harris, Tinie Tempah For New LP, “The Fifth”
- 10-Minute “Daft Punk Remix” Of “Get Lucky” Coming
- Richard Vission – “Primitive” (feat. Luciana) [Out Now]
- ETC!ETC! + Brillz + Diplo – “Bueller VIP”
- Psycho White (Yelawolf + Travis Barker) – “Push Em (Steve Aoki & Travis Barker Remix)”
- Jack Beats – “KYD (Major Lazer X Jack Beats Remix)”
- The Making of Pretty Lights’ New Album: A Color Map of the Sun
- Norin & Rad – “Bird Is The Word” [Out Now]
- 10-Minute "Daft Punk Remix" Of "Get Lucky" Coming
Commented on by Green Django
- Daft Punk - "Random Access Memories" (Review)
Commented on by Green Django
- Defected Presents 30 Classic House Tracks In Under 3 Minutes
Commented on by Ian (@Stellaskid)
- Skrillex - "Summit" (feat. Ellie Goulding) (Video)
Commented on by O.zee.zee
- Crookers "Don't Be Sad" Mix
Commented on by djcj
- Kaskade vs. Sebastian Ingrosso + Tommy Trash - "Eyes Reloaded"
Commented on by JPjammerson