11 March, 2013@6:31 am
Dan The Automator has been quite nomadic in recent years. Just a decade ago, we found him at the helm of high profile projects like Deltron 3030, Handsome Boy Modelling School, and Gorillaz, before going off to produce rock acts like Head Automatica and Kasabian. So it’s been a while since we’ve heard the more URB Magazine-flavored version of Automator, but with Pillowfight, a collaboration with vocalist Emily Wells, the king of the beats returns.
“Trip-Hop” was a bit of a dead genre in the 2000’s, with indie rock bands taking over, hip-hop choosing synth over samples, and only a lone album from Portishead in 2008. Pillowfight attempts to subtly bring it back, with Automator’s trademark production style, and Emily’s sultry vocals, combining a bit of Macy Gray rasp, and Sheryl Crow twang.
At times, the duo completely nails it – such as on the bluesy opener “Used To Think”, or the horn-driven “Get Your Shit Together”, which sounds like something RZA might sample for his next movie soundtrack. Other times, they miss the mark completely, such as on the generic “Get Down”, or the lethargic “Darlin Darlin”, which is so cliché-laden, you can almost guess the next lyric.
Boiled down, Dan The Automator is in his element here, many times channeling the sound found on Lovage’s Music To Make Love To Your Old Lady By. But Wells seems to be the weakest link in this collaboration. We’ve heard seen this formula (hip-hop beats + sultry female vocalist) many times before, yet for it to work really depends on the strength of the singer herself. Wells merely plods along, with predictable lyrics and lazily delivered vocals that never really show off her vocal chops, nor break new ground lyrically.
Had we not been spoiled by the pioneering late 90’s trip hop movement, or even by some of the entries out of Dan’s own catalog, the bar might not have been raised so high. This isn’t bad by any means, but doesn’t do much to resurrect the genre either.
Leave a Reply
- Swedish House Mafia Release Farewell Cover Of “Leave The World Behind”
- “One More Time” Singer Romanthony Dies
- Swedish House Mafia To Debut “Leave The World Behind” Doc This Friday
- Tiesto “Club Life Vol. 3: Stockholm” Cover Art & Tracklist Revealed
- AraabMuzik Shot In Botched Robbery Attempt
- EDC Las Vegas 2013 Line-Up Revealed
- TJR – “Ode To Oi (Will Sparks Remix)” [Free Download]
- Deadmau5 – “Suite 03″ [Preview]
- Stefano Noferini – “The End” [Preview]
- Empire Of The Sun – “Alive (David Guetta / Mat Zo Remixes)”
- ALVARO – “Most Wanted” [Free Download]
- Tony Junior x Carnage ft. New & Used – “Nobody Beats The Signal [Tommie Sunshine Bootleg]“
- Daft Punk - "Random Access Memories" (Review)
Commented on by Green Django
- Defected Presents 30 Classic House Tracks In Under 3 Minutes
Commented on by Ian (@Stellaskid)
- Skrillex - "Summit" (feat. Ellie Goulding) (Video)
Commented on by O.zee.zee
- Crookers "Don't Be Sad" Mix
Commented on by djcj
- Kaskade vs. Sebastian Ingrosso + Tommy Trash - "Eyes Reloaded"
Commented on by JPjammerson
- DJ Chuckie - "Dirty Dutch Exodus: Official Aftermovie"
Commented on by Lilly Raver