13 December, 2013@1:46 am
Ninja Tune are proud to announce the worldwide signing of Kelis, and her new album, Food to be released April 28th, 2014.
Entirely produced by Dave Sitek (founder of TV On The Radio and producer for the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Liars and Foals amongst others), the album is a homecoming for Kelis: a soul record that’s as raw and alternative as it is classic. Ninja Tune were blown away by the record, and leapt at the chance to work with a legend that’s always had a forward-thinking sound and oozed style.
‘Food’ is a startling combination of Kelis’ most frank and vulnerable vocals to date, and Sitek’s inimitable sonic imprint. Littered with transcendent, Spector-esque lift, warm bottom ends and vast depth, the music is the perfect backdrop for Kelis’ unique voice. The latter has only improved with time and experience, and the album candidly explores pain, happiness and everything in between.
Kelis says of the signing: “I’m really happy to be partnering with Ninja Tune on my new record. This is the album I’ve wanted to make for a long time and I want the team around me to be as excited and energetic about it as I am. I’m also very happy to be working with some of the most creative people in the industry.”
In choosing Ninja Tune as her new home, she’s another example of a world-class talent turning to the independent sector in order to work outside the constraints often put in place by major labels. With Ninja Tune best known for its gold selling acts such as Bonobo, The Heavy, Mr. Scruff, The Cinematic Orchestra, Roots Manuva and Wiley, their diverse roster and understanding and experience with creative, independent artists, the match made perfect sense.
With two Grammy nominations, Platinum and Gold records, BRIT, Q and NME Awards and dozens of top 10 singles to her name, Kelis is an artist who needs no introduction. She has collaborated with the likes of Bjork, Raphael Saadiq, Moby, Outkast, P Diddy and Skream to name but a few. Her recent collaboration with Calvin Harris, ‘Bounce,’ went straight into the top 10, and when she posted new track ‘Jerk Ribs’ a few short months ago, she set the blogosphere alight.
Leave a Reply
- Duck Sauce’s Long-Awaited “QUACK” LP Is Due April 15th
- Avicii Will Remix “True” LP Entirely
- Major Lazer Teaming With Pharrell, Sean Paul For “Apocalypse Soon” EP
- Avicii Announces North American #TrueTour
- Sebastian Ingrosso Announces the Release Free Mix-Album, “Live From Brixton Academy”
- Daft Punk Will Perform At The 2014 Grammy Awards
- Crazibiza – “Coco Loco (Alaia & Gallo Remix)”
- Meaux Green + Tropkillaz – “Pump Up The Volume” [Free Download]
- RL Grime & What So Not – “Tell Me” [Free Download]
- Martin Garrix – “Proxy” [Free Download]
- Cash Cash – “Lightning” (feat. John Rzeznik) [Preview]
- Zedd – “Find You (Dave Audé Radio Remix)” (feat. Matthew Koma)
- Sick Individuals & Axwell - "I AM (Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike vs Wolfpack & Boosted Kids Remix)" [Live Preview]
Commented on by Vits
- Krewella - "Live For The Night (Hook N Sling Remix)"
Commented on by Krewella Live For The Night Remix
- Hook N Sling & Chris Willis - "Magnet" [Out Now]
Commented on by Hook N Sling Chris Willis Magnet Remix
- Doctor P + Adam F - "The Pit" (feat. Method Man) (Video)
Commented on by Green Django
- Marcus Schossow - "Reverie" [Axtone] [Out Now]
Commented on by Freddy Mcelfresh
- 10-Minute "Daft Punk Remix" Of "Get Lucky" Coming
Commented on by Green Django